Networking can be daunting. Here are a few tips to make your networking journey easier!
1. Learn about the event beforehand
– who is the host?
– will there be speakers at the event? Who?
– what is the dress code?
– who are the participants? Who do you want to meet?
2. Balance old and new connections
Reconnect with old connections to consolidate your network and make new connects to expand your network. Avoid doing too much of one thing.
3. Introduce yourself with confidence
Don’t sell yourself. Keep your introduction simple but specific. After your introduction, continue the conversation with shared experiences and topics of interest.
4. Sharpen your conversational skills
– Prioritize open-ended questions
– Listen actively
– End conversations politely. Some examples of polite exit lines you can use are:
‘It’s been really great meeting you, but I want to ask the speaker/a colleague some questions before he/she leaves.’
‘Well, I want to make sure to say hello to at least three people tonight!’
‘Anyway, I don’t want to take up all of your time.’
And then thank your conversation partner.
5. Follow up
Follow up on new connections using a consistent approach. This could be via an appropriate platform like LinkedIn or by email.
CRICOS 03878K | RTO 45644
Phone: (+61) 261 018 650
Email: [email protected]
Canberra campus: Mezzanine Level, 15 Moore Street, Canberra ACT 2601
Melbourne campus: Suite 802, Level 8, 474 Flinders St, Melbourne VIC 3000